WHO WILL BE THERE?
Students ages 8-18 will showcase their work using their ability to analyze and to clearly communicate critical thinking using the tools and methods of systems thinking and system dynamics.
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF DYNAMIQUEST?
- Give students the experience of being coached on their projects by experts in the systems field, teachers, and other students, in a helpful and supportive manner.
- Permit teachers from different schools to see evidence of student work communicating critical thinking using systems thinking and system dynamics (ST/SD).
- Provide a venue for teachers and kids to network and learn from each other.
- Showcase student work for the wider community.
- Have some fun and celebrate with kids!
Download the 2016 DynamqueSTbrochure.
DO STUDENTS NEED A LOT OF EXPERIENCE TO PARTICIPATE?
No! DynamiQueST creates a venue for celebrating what has been done, informing those who wish to start, and providing encouragement for all!
Sample Past Projects:
Student projects can be presented through posters, videos or other media of student choice.
- What to do about Avian Flu?
- Global Water Supplies
- Researching Effect of Climate Change, Keystone Species, and Economics on Vermont’s Maple Sugar Production
- Global Warming
- Over Fishing and the Decline of Cod Population
- Deforestation of the Mekong Watershed and the impact on Rice Crops
- Nuclear Power Can Help to Reduce Air Pollution
- Water Pollution and Manure Management
- The Decline of Rare Insect Species
- Urban Development of Williston, Vermont: Impact on Local Vermont Indicator Species…And Many More!
WHO ARE THE COACHES?
- Professionals well versed in analyzing complex systems using the tools and methods of ST/SD
- Teachers who have used ST/SD in their classrooms for years.
- Other participating students
WHAT ARE SYSTEMS THINKING AND SYSTEM DYNAMICS?
Tools of Systems Thinking
The tools of ST/SD range from graphic organizers to computer models.
- Behavior-over-time Graphs
- Feedback Loops
- Diagrams and computer models of the elements of systems
The tools of systems thinking can help us comprehend complex issues and ideas. Analyzing and understanding change helps students form successful strategies for learning and working with the challenges they meet in the world.
Why use systems thinking?
- Enhances and develops habits of critical thinking
- Provides tools for expressing and communicating ideas effectively
- Supports the goals of the Common Core Standards and STEM initiatives
- Fosters learner-centered learning and collaborative problem solving
- Creates a framework for an interdisciplinary viewpoint
HOW DO I KNOW IF DYNAMIQUEST WILL FIT MY STUDENTS?
Do you and your students ask the following kinds of questions and want to delve deeper into the issues they study:
- What’s changing?
- How is it changing?
- Why is it changing?
- So what? What should be done?
Then Join Us!
- Students and teachers with projects/presentations
- Educators who wish to see what students are capable of thinking and communicating
- Community members who are curious about better ways to help students learn about the complex systems that are everywhere.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Sponsors and participants
Waters Foundation |
Leverage Networks |
Boston Systems Thinking Educators Gathering |
SoL Education Partnership |
Peter Senge |
isee systems |
WPI System Dynamics Department